A new Fast video cataloger is now available for download. Lots of small but pretty important improvements in this update. Get it from https://videocataloger.com/download/
User interface improvements
- The Scale of thumbnails is now stored per layout.
- If you right-click on the thumbnails scale slider there is a context menu to select 50%, 100%, and 200% scale.
- If “Extended properties” and “Extended thumbnail properties” are opened or not in the detail view is now stored with each layout.
- When you add an actor it is now put first in the list and is selected. This should make it easier to spot if you want to drag it as a cast member right away.
- When you have one of the top menus opened you used to have to first click outside to close it. Then you could click on other user interface elements. This is now fixed.
- Using MadVR returning from fullscreen mode should now work correctly.
- In fullscreen mode, click on the screen to pause/unpause.
- Optimized thread pool usage a bit to fix general slowdown issues.
- If using “Write metadata in video files” this should no longer block the keywording user interface.
- Optimized keyword entry so it should be more responsive.
- Fixed issue with videos sometimes getting a 0 length when indexed.
- Error messages when compiling scripts should be a bit more clear, and we always scroll to the end of the message automatically.
- ConsoleWrite could continue to the next line before the text was visible on the screen, this is fixed.
Today Fast video cataloger 6.39 is available for download. This is a bug fix release without any new major features, thanks to everyone who has reported issues.
New .Net framework
We have updated to use the 4.62 version of the .net framework. If you have the latest version of Windows 10 this is already included with your operating system. If you are on an older version the installer will check if you have the framework and prompt you to install it as part of the installation process. The updated .net framework includes a whole range of general bug fixes and performance improvements in .net. More info on the official .net page.
- If you hold ctrl when entering a keyword in the keyword search field it will direct that keyword to the exclude keyword box instead.
- We limited the height keywords can take in the keywording box to prevent the input field to scroll down if a catalog has lots of keywords and/or the panel is thin.
- You can now click on the video player screen area to play/pause the video.
- Fixed crash after capturing a screenshot to file.
- Fixed issue with aspect ratio when using MadVR renderer.
- Fixed issues that it was not possible to drag the seek bar in the videoplayer.
- Fixed issue with bins not showing up in the dropdown in some cases.
A new version of Fast video cataloger is now available from the download page
Search – Exclude keywords
You can now exclude videos matching keywords from the search result. You find this option in the search window below the keywords. This excludes filter works on the set of filtered videos. For example, when you search for all videos matching an actor you can exclude videos that have specific keywords. If you search for a keyword and exclude that keyword, the exclusion will take priority.
Search – Actors
The actor search now supports search on Actor Bio and Actor Link.
The Actor window now only load visible portraits to save memory for catalogs with lots of actors. And, we extended the script API with a new SearchActor() function. Make sure to check out our previous blog post on how to write a script to import actors from an external movie database.
Talking about scripting. we updated Console writing so it can be done from any thread in a script, for example from a browser callback. I also added some more documentation on the exposed browser. We will write a more detailed post on how you can use it later but it is all working in the current build if you want to try it. Running scripts from an action button always gave an error message, this is fixed.
Meta data in files is faster
Writing metadata to video files (enable from the metadata preference page) is now done in a background thread and is faster.
We fixed an issue when you clicking on the seek bar while a video was playing and that click was ignored. There were scaling issues when using the vmr9 video player could happen if there was a big difference between the video aspect ratio and the window aspect ratio. Changed order of vmr7 and vmr9 in the preferences ( The recommendation is still to prefer the direct option )
I am happy to let you know we have just made Fast video cataloger 6.31 available
Play videos from a web server
We have added new support to let you set up videos to be served from a web server. Access this from the catalog/info screen and the “Use Hosted Videos” button. This enables you to put your videos on a web server and then share a catalog with other people so they can easily access your video files. You can then share the relatively small catalog file where they have quick instant access to search and browse without having to distribute all the large video files with them. And you can use this for a selected number of videos in a catalog, i.e. a catalog can have a combination of videos hosted on a server and loaded from your local filesystem.
play video through web server.
Please note that not all videos can be served from a web server, we recommend modern containers like mp4 for videos hosted this way. It is also always slower to load over a server so if you do not need this functionality you should not use it. Also, note that indexing currently needs to happen through the Windows file system.
Save to other than the selected layouts
You can now save a windows layout to another layout than the currently selected one. This new functionality is available from the view menu. Select the layout you want to save to from the dropdown list and then click Save. By default, the dropdown will be the current layout.
The browser for the start page has been switched to a Chromium-based browser from internet explorer. We have also extended the scripting interface with a new function to give you direct access to the browser window. This will allow an easy way to either write out results to a web page integrated into the software or to gather data from a web page into your solution.
The execution of scripts can now be asynchronous. This will allow you to have scripts running as you interact with the rest of the user interface.
The load script dialog will now default to open in the sample script folder, and then the last opened folder.
A new sample script
get_actors.xaml.cs will show you how to integrate Fast video cataloger with an external web service. This script is explained in detail here
The program icon in the taskbar now shows progress when a video is being indexed. The progress is per videos not for all videos in the current batch.
And other minor fixes…
It is now possible to multiselect images in the companion image gallery and remove them from the catalog. The Update dialog has gotten an improved layout.
Today we release Fast video cataloger 6.29.
A quick update this time around, so a bit fewer changes than usual but I think they are pretty important.
It is now possible to delete multiple selected images in the companion image browser window.
If adding or removing images to the companion image browser the window was not refreshed until another video was selected.
Improved tooltips for the views.
Today we release Fast video cataloger 6.28.
So what is new in this version?
The interactive search, Ctrl+I, now selects the search text when you show it after hiding. Just start typing to get a new search or move with arrows to edit the previous search text. If you have not used the interactive search do give it a try.
More Companion image optimizations
We have continued to optimize the companion image browser. This time we did optimizations for when the companion image windows are not visible in a layout. This should make loading of video thumbnails images in cases a video had a very long list of companion images. We have also optimized the companion image browser itself even more.
Fixed a crash when dragging an actor from a floating (non-docked) window into the cast window.
Check for update
Added a new check for update button, and we do a check for updates in the background now when the program starts.