Atract windows in Fast video cataloger is a way to rediscover your catalog. The attract windows display content from your video catalog automatically as different slideshows. There is an attract window for your actors, for your companion images and ofcource for your videos.
We took the name from old arcade games that had an attract mode where they console played the game itself trying to attract players. So the purpose of these windows is to let you discover your entire video catalog. Perhaps for inspiration or perhaps just as a nice “screen saver”.
Here are is a short summary of how you can configure the preferences for your attract windows
Today we talk a bit more about the layout preferences page. Once you start to use layouts you can make better use of your screen estate and the program will be easier to use.
Today we uploaded Fast video cataloger 6.21 and it is available for download.
There are lots of improvements since my latest blog update. The largest major improvements have been around the integrated video player. The end result should be increased video quality as well as better support for multiple screens.
Recent improvements to video player
- The “direct video player” video player option, that should be the safest option for playback, now uses evr instead of vmr9. That change should result in higher quality output and faster playback.
- Improvements to the threading should have fixed a few possible causes for freezes. For example, we should be able to handle a few known driver/codec issues a bit better with blank output instead of a frozen program.
- Multiscreen support for the video player. It should now be possible to drag the video player window from the main window to the secondary window with a different resolution.
- Respect “pause” state. If you pause a video and then click on a thumb the video will jump to the selected time but won’t start playing (this behavior can be controlled from the videoplayer preference ).
Recent improvements to video playlists
- Now you can add to playlist from the scene search results.
- Playlist has a more compact view in addition to the previous one, right click in the window to select view.
- New video index option to rotate thumbnails 90 degrees if it has a rotate metadata. This is useful for videos taken with iphones. For this to work you need the settings to extract meta data from the video and the option to autorotate thumbnails. To play the videos correct you also need to use a video renderer that reads the rotation metadata and does realtime rotation. MadVR is one renderer that does that.
- If you capture a frame through the capture camera icon in the player that thumb will be selected after capture.
- Add folder should now be quicker, especially with folders that contain encrypted videos.
- Add videofile now accepts multiselection.
ScriptInterface.csto reflect latest version of the api.
Images and video files
Fast video cataloger lets you manage any type of photos together with your video files.
In Fast video cataloger, everything starts with a video. Fast video catalog is far from a traditional photo viewer program.
For photos, this means that you link photos to videos and that photos are filtered for the video.
We call photos stored in Fast video cataloger for companion images.
Companion images can be any type of digital image in jpeg or png file format.
What companion images you want in your catalog depend on the application. If you have a catalog of normal play films, like a movie you would find at imdb. Then, typical companion images are probably cover images, posters, pictures from the release party.
If you use Fast video cataloger for your company. Then, the companion images could be images shot at meetings and presentations, photos of a whiteboard, people in the meeting and so on. For these applications remember that you can also add extended video properties. In that way, it is possible to link other file types to your videos.
Type of images that fast video cataloger can handle
A companion image is any type of image set to a video. A companion image can be set as cover a front or back cover for a video. We also have the concept of Actor portrait image and Actor companion image.
How to add photos to your catalog
The easiest way to add images to a catalog is to add them automatically when you add a video to your catalog. You can control if and how companion images are added from the preferences. The program can automatically add companion images that are stored in the same folder or subfolder relative to the video file.
The companion image browser has a button to rescan a folder structure. Use this if to add companion images to a video that was scanned without images.
You can also go into the repair function and do a scan to find companion images in a subfolder to videos that are not in the catalog.
Add companion images by dragging the image files to the companion image window.
Browsing photos for a videos
The “companion image browser” window displays thumbnails of the companion images for the selected video. The “preview image” window shows the selected image (and you can zoom with the mouse wheel).
The “Cover” window only shows the front and back cover image for the video.
The “Companion & Cover image” is a more compact window that combines the above three windows into one. It shows a scrollable list of thumbnails. When you move the cursor to the bottom of the window it lists all companion images. The currently selected image is displayed in the same window.
In the “Attract cover images” window you can see a slideshow of random cover images for all videos in your collection. There is also a setting in the preferences, “Include Companion images”. When this is checked you will get all companion images for all videos, not just covers.
Nice things with companion images
If you have companion images setup for a video you can move it in the file organizer and the companion images will move with the video files.
Right-click in the “companion …” window you can select to use a cover image as the image to represent a video in the video catalog (for example a cover).